Affiliate marketing is a form of online business in which a third party (for example, me, the affiliate) is awarded for every visitor it provides with hyperlinks on the website.
Affiliate marketing combines sharp performance incentives with online advertising’s broader efficiencies (Edelman & Brandi, 2015). It is a performance-based approach to online marketing, where advertisers pay when a sale occurs (Edelman & Brandi, 2015). With robust online tracking that can attribute sales to affiliates, advertisers often perceive an unprecedented reduction in risk (Edelman & Brandi, 2015).
Under standard rules, an affiliate earns a commission only if (1) a user browses to an affiliate’s site, (2) the user clicks the fellows specially coded link to the merchant, and (3) the user makes a purchase from the merchant (Edelman 2013).
Definitions you must know:
- Affiliate: Affiliate is a term used for an individual or a firm promoting products of the advertiser with the help of a website or an application.
- Customer: Customer is a term used for an individual or a firm that visits the affiliate website or the application and if he or she likes the advertisement, clicks on it. The customer is then directed to the merchant’s website
When suggesting a product, an affiliate could create a link to Amazon, offering a promotional rate or service. Why an organization benefit from affiliates? Answer: These affiliate links make the underlying content more user friendly while ensuring the affiliate organization gets chosen by the customers reading your content material. According to (Edelman 2015), under standard rules, an affiliate earns a commission only if:
- a user browses an affiliate’s site
- the user clicks the affiliates specially coded link to the merchant
- the user purchases from the merchant
Opportunities to gain additional income
Some affiliate programs send initiatives to drive content and give content creators opportunities to gain cash prizes. Below, you will see an example from Adobe regarding their Spark Application. I will say that Adobe, in general, gives back to creators. During September, Lady Gaga and Adobe teamed up to allow artists to win $1,000 by creating a poster for Lady Gaga’s hit Single, Rain on me. Other affiliate programs do send emails with special promotions during the holidays or busy seasons.
Is Affiliate Marketing Sustainable?
Affiliate marketing, like many practices, isn’t sustainable unless there is a professional affiliation. This means that I can write all about Photography and applications such as Adobe Spark every day for an entire year. Still, it’s not until Adobe has me teach a class, sell a product with my image or face, or advertise any of my posts that true revenue is earned from affiliation.
Landing PR packages
Public relations’ goal is to shape public perception of a business, presenting a positive image through various strategies to its various constituents. You might occasionally have a rep ask you to write about writing a production product to receive your honest opinion about your experience with their product. Still, most of the time, it’s from a brand new company with a product you might have never seen before. Unless you are reaching out to hundreds of users, do not expect someone from top companies to reach out to you. In some cases, you are reviewing items you purchased yourself.
- Edelman, B. (2013), “The Design of Online Advertising Markets,” in The Handbook of Market Design, Nir Vulkan, Alvin Roth, and Zvika Neeman, eds. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Edelman, B., & Brandi, W. (2015). Risk, Information, and Incentives in Online Affiliate Marketing. Journal of Marketing Research (JMR), 52(1), 1–12. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.1509/jmr.13.0472.